21 C
New York
Monday, June 17, 2024
HomeHeadline newsPro-Khalistan activist jailed for stabbings

Pro-Khalistan activist jailed for stabbings


Related stories

Modi, Trudeau hold talks concerning Khalistani leader Nijjar

Modi on Friday (14) held a brief conversation with...

Indian workers replaced me, says Indian-American engineer who lost job

Social media is buzzing with shock and sadness after...

T20 World Cup 2024: India beats USA, secures ‘Super 8’ spot

The Indian cricket team registered a seven-wicket victory against...

At least 40 Indians feared dead in building fire in southern Kuwait

At least 40 Indians are feared dead following a...

A 26-year-old pro-Khalistan Sikh activist who pleaded guilty to causing injury to two Asian-origin men and a female police officer at an Indian Independence Day event in London last year has been sentenced to 28 months imprisonment.

Gurpreet Singh appeared at Isleworth Crown Court on Wednesday after pleading guilty in January to the unlawful wounding of victims Aashish Sharma and Nanak Singh and causing actual bodily harm to police constable Justine Nicolle Farrell, as well as a fourth count of affray.

The incident occurred during a community event in Southall on August 15 night last year, with videos circulating on social media showing a clash between some pro-Khalistan extremists and police officers.

“Gurpreet Singh was sentenced to 28 months’ imprisonment after he entered guilty pleas in respect of four counts on the indictment on January 12,” a court official said.

The court heard that the Indian national was carrying his religious kirpan, which was used as a “weapon of offence”. Singh could face deportation to India at the end of his sentence.

- Advertisement -

“I recognise the enormous concern this incident will have caused, both in Southall and in the Sikh communities around London and further afield, in what was an otherwise largely peaceful and celebratory event,” said Metropolitan Police Superintendent Sean Lynch, responsible for neighbourhood policing in west London at the time of the incident last year.

“We are aware of footage circulating on social media, with people also commenting on what they think happened. We would urge people to avoid echoing or adding to speculation. Fortunately, none of those injured were seriously hurt and there were no fatalities,” he said.

PC Justine Farrell was involved in detaining Singh and sustained a small cut to her hand, which the Met Police said did not require hospital treatment. (PTI)


- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

Latest stories