Shrien and his father Prakash Dewani
A SOUTH African court on Friday (February 25) postponed to June the trial of Briton Shrien Dewani for the honeymoon killing of his Swedish bride Anni Dewani during a kidnapping and murder incident last November.
Two fellow accused are facing charges of murder, robbery with aggravating circumstances and a kidnapping that the state says was masterminded by the husband, Shrien Dewani.
“The state requests a postponement for further investigation until the first of June,” prosecutor Rodney de Kock told the court, where the victim’s father and an uncle were present.
The state’s investigation was largely wrapped up, apart from evidence from Britain being handed to South Africa and finalisation of forensic reports, he said.
De Kock said the state wanted Dewani to be arraigned alongside Mziwamadoda Qwabe, 25 and Xolile Mngeni, 23, who will remain in custody until June.
“The state wishes to arraign Mr Dewani with the current accused,” he said.
A fourth accused, Zola Tongo, turned state’s evidence in December, pleading guilty and making the sensational confession alleging that Anni Dewani’s husband was the mastermind of the killing.
Tongo, the driver of the couple’s car, was jailed for 18 years.
Dewani has been granted bail by a British court and his extradition hearing will take place on May 5.
“Mr Dewani was arrested and is currently on bail. An application has however been brought in London to review the bail,” said De Kock.
The application was postponed until March 15.
The Swedish-born bride was found shot dead in the car the honeymooners had been travelling in when it was allegedly hijacked.
Bail was earlier denied to Qwabe in a separate hearing. The accused claimed that police had beaten him and that he had an alibi, but did not disclose the details to the court.
No Comments Posted yet
Do you have comments on this?